Having worked and been educated in and around the Southern Highlands, I have known about SHYAC for a long time, but I have never had any involvement with the organisation until I was asked to become a staff member in 2010.
I was one of two staff at SHYAC when I joined the organisation, though Katy soon left. During my time there, I had a number of roles:
- Write and implement a broad range of new policies to guide and support the activities of the organisation. These included communications/media policies, an updated constitution, and more.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of new and existing programs, including the POD Project, several productions (Olivia, What a Knight, Grease and Seussical), the Mary Poppins project, the 2011 HSC Showcase, Comedy Workshops, and the choir Sound.
- Maintain and overhaul the SHYAC website.
- Engage SHYAC’s members via social and new media.
- Produce regular newsletters.
- Assist the financial management of the organisation.
- General administration duties.
- Support volunteers and others working on various projects.
- Support and assist the management committee.
I left my paid role at SHYAC to pursue a valuable opportunity in another job, but continued to work voluntarily as the Producer of Grease.
You can read my reflections on Grease here.